The town of North High Shoals is situated on the eastern bank of the Apalachee River in Oconee County, Georgia.
The area of High Shoals was originally populated by white settlers in the late eighteenth century, and a fort was built on a bluff overlooking the river in or around the year 1794. At that time, the Apalachee marked the border between white civilization and Indian Territory. In the early 1800s, High Shoals was a stop on the young state of Georgia’s postal and stage coach routes. Although continually populated, the area didn’t really blossom until the mid nineteenth century, when a textile mill was established on the western bank of the river. During the civil war, the fabric for Confederate soldiers’ uniforms was manufactured there.
The town of High Shoals was incorporated as a municipality in the year 1902. Municipal officers of the town circa 1920-1923 (the earliest records available) were Mayor A. E. Horne and Council Members H. J. Horne, G. W. Allen, W. A. Connell, and L. A. Moser.
Disaster struck in 1928 when the New High Shoals Manufacturing Company mill, which had been the town’s lifeblood for nearly a century, was completely destroyed by fire. The population of the town – by some estimates, around 3,000 at that time – dwindled as residents moved away in search of work, and the town charter was allowed to lapse.
The charter was reestablished in 1968, altered to include only the portion of the town on the eastern / Oconee side of the river, and the town was rechristened North High Shoals.
In October of 2006, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources - Historic Preservation Division certified the High Shoals Historic District. See the certificate here; see the map of contributing properties in North High Shoals here; see the summary here; and see the full document here.